I’m in the middle of creating a tagline (slogan) for a new company. Ideally, I’d like to be able to describe their business in less than five words.
They want their tagline to be:
I hate generic taglines like “leader in ___” or “Great value, friendly people”. So I’ve been brainstorming and free-associating on their concept and the feelings they want to inspire in their target market.
By the weekend, I’ll narrow down the selection of taglines to five choices. Then I’ll run a mini Google AdWords campaign using the choices in ads leading to a landing page with a survey. We’ll let the clickthrough rate decide, and by this time next week, we should have a great tagline that people respond to.
Some famous taglines:
DeBeers: A diamond is forever
Apple: Think outside the box
L’Oréal: Because I’m worth it
BMW: The ultimate driving machine
Here’s my process for creating taglines
* Research the company and the target market;
* Focus on the feelings the company wants to inspire (trust needs to be a major component);
* Brainstorm and brainstorm some more;
* Send the company ten of my favorites;
* Repeat the above;
* Send more taglines;
* Wait… and wait… while people review;
Creating taglines is fun, but also exhausting.